Dawn M. Gibson
Position: Associate Attorney
115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4004 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Dawn Gibson is an associate of Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman where her practice includes immigration law, employment law, civil litigation and appeals.
Immigration Law. Ms. Gibson assists private employers and educational institutions with obtaining permanent residence or temporary employment authorization for their employees and assists individuals with obtaining family-based permanent residence (“green card”). Ms. Gibson also advises and assists with internal I-9 audits, defense of ICE investigations and other workplace compliance issues.
Employer and Employee Counseling. Ms. Gibson advises clients regarding the drafting and implementation of policy, employment and separation documents in compliance with federal and state laws including, but not limited to, employee handbooks, confidentiality and non-disclosure, termination and severance agreements. Ms. Gibson also assists with internal company investigations.
State and Federal Litigation Practice. Ms. Gibson represents and assists small and large companies and individuals regarding labor and employment disputes, employment discrimination, commercial litigation and in connection with state and federal administrative agencies.
Place of birth: Omaha, Nebraska
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD, 2005
University of Iowa, BA, 2000
- Global Studies and International Business Certificate
Admissions and Certifications
- State of Iowa, 2007
US District Court
- Northern & Southern Districts of Iowa, 2007
US Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit, 2012
- Law Clerk to the Honorable John Jarvey
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Dean Mason Ladd American Inn of Court
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- SES 12th Annual Fundamentals of Employment Law event July, 2013
- “Managing Leaves Of Absence: The Interplay of the ADA, the FMLA, Workers’ Compensation and COBRA,” 2008 Lorman Education Services’ Family and Medical Leave Seminar
- “Sensitive Issues” and “Wage and Hour Issues,” 2008 National Business Institute’s Employment Law Made Simple Seminar
- “Background Checks and Hiring Decisions,” 2009 Sterling Education Services, Inc.’s Hiring and Firing Seminar
- “E-Verify and the Immigration Laws,” 2009 Employment Law Briefing for Decision Makers and Owners Seminar
- “Ten Things Employers Should Know About the Healthcare Reform Legislation,” 2010 Benefit Solutions Seminar
- “Disability Discrimination in Employment,” 2010 Volunteer Lawyers Project Seminar