115 3rd Street SE, Suite 1200
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401-1266
(319) 896-4003 direct
(319) 366-1917 fax
Nicolas Abou-Assaly is a member of Simmons Perrine Moyer Bergman and has been with the firm since 1997. He has a general transactional practice including real estate and corporate and business transactions. Prior to joining Simmons Perrine, Mr. Abou-Assaly was an in-house attorney with Exxon Corporation in Houston, Texas.
Real Estate. Mr. Abou-Assaly represents clients of all sizes in connection with the purchase, sale, leasing and development of commercial and residential real estate. His practice includes preparation of agreements, handling title matters, representation of clients in connection with zoning, platting and land use matters and challenging real estate valuations for tax assessment purposes. His clients include real estate owners and developers, builders, landlords, tenants, farmers, school districts and lenders.
Real Estate Tax Protests. Mr. Abou-Assaly has represented local and national clients in challenging real estate valuations for tax assessment purposes for commercial and industrial facilities throughout the State of Iowa, including appeals of board of review decisions to the Iowa District Court. His work on behalf of such clients has often resulted in significant reductions in assessed values of real estate and, consequently, significant savings in real estate tax liabilities.
General Corporate and Business Transactions. Mr. Abou-Assaly provides advice and services to many businesses on day-to-day issues as well as issues relating to entity formation and in negotiating and drafting of organizational documents and a variety of business contracts.
Additional languages: Arabic
Place of birth: Beirut, Lebanon
- University of Iowa College of Law, JD with distinction, 1992
University of Iowa College of Business, BBA with Honors, 1989
Admissions and Certifications
- State of Iowa, 1995
- State of Texas, 1992
Iowa State Bar Association
- International Law Section
- Legal Forms Committee, 2006-present
- Real Estate & Title Law Section
Linn County Bar Association
- Title Standards Committee, Co-Chair, 2007-present
- Marion Iowa City Council Member
Cedar Rapids Daybreak Rotary Club
- Chair of International Development Project
- Imagine8 Project, Parks Committee
- Lowe Park Amphitheatre Fundraising Committee
- Public Art Master Plan Committee
St. George Orthodox Christian Church
- Music Director
Linn Mar School District
- School Improvement Advisory Committee
- Main Street Iowa District, Board Member
Honors and Awards
- Included in Great Plains Super Lawyers, 2013
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
- Corridor Business Journal’s Forty Under 40
- Marion, Iowa Citizen of the Year, 2008
- Rotarian of the Year, 2009-2010
- Contributor (Iowa), Mark A Senn, "State-by-State Guide to Commercial Real Estate Leases", First, Second, Third and Fourth Editions.